Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Hot Chilli

 Aim: 

I want to find out the best way to cool down your tongue after eating hot chilli

Research:


Method:
Equipment: 
  • Hot chilli sauce
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Drinks - soda, water, milk
  • Timer
Instructions: 
  1. Get your equipment ready. 
  2. Get a drop of hot sauce on your Popsicle stick. 
  3. Lick the hot chilli sauce. 
  4. Start the timer.
  5. After 2 minutes drink your drink.
  6. After 5 mins, how hot is your mouth?
  7. Repeat the experiment but with a different drink. 
Results: 
I didn't do the experiment because I don't like sauces, I typed up peoples opinions in results. 

The first chilli was okay, we did it without any drinks and I am scoring it a 7 for burning
The second chilli was hotter than the first one, I rated it a 8.5 but after drinking water 
The third chilli wasn't that bad, I rated it a 4 after drinking coke it didn't really effect anything. 
The last one was not that bad since I got used to it i rated it a 2, but after drinking milk the chilli settled down. 

Discussion: 

Why does chilli burn your mouth? 
When you eat the chilli, capsaicin goes into your saliva and sticks on to the TRPV1 receptors (a protein in the human gene which has many variations), after this it triggers the receptors and sends off a signal to your brain which makes it think that your mouth is burning. 

Why does milk reduce the burn? 









No comments:

Post a Comment